"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ".
(1 Corinthians 3 v 11)
Westminster Baptist church is the oldest Free Church in Westminster. It was founded in 1807 when services were started in Grafton Street S.W.1. The church then moved to Panton Street and soon after to Lewisham Street.
In 1828 a permanent premises was found and on 12 March 1828, Romney Street Baptist Church was opened. The Rev C. Woolacott was the minister at that time.
The church was temporarily closed in 1865, but was re-opened later that year by C.H.Spurgeon and the Rev J.S.Morris was the minister. Romney Street was eventually demolished and so services were held at a local hall, Stockwell Baptist Church and even on the street corner of Old Page Street in Westminster.
The present building in Horseferry Road was opened on 27 March, 1935. Prior to the purchase of the present building an attempt was made to buy another building but the Lord closed the doors and 100 Horseferry Road was purchased. The Lord knew which building he had planned for us as during World War Two the other building was damaged by enemy action, but Westminster Baptist Church was left untouched. In 1956 the Rev Thomas was inducted and 42 years later he was still faithfully preaching the word of our Saviour Jesus Christ. Rev W.H Thomas retired from the pastorship in 1999. In September 2005 God blessed the church with a new minister, Pastor Kevin Keenan was inducted on 17 September 2005(the audio for which can be found on the sermons page) we hope and pray God will bless his ministry in this needy place of London and that all may be done to the Honor and Glory of Almighty God.